What is the best way to capture the sense of awe and majesty of a location in a photograph?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinAZ
MinAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,245
What is the best way to capture the sense of awe and majesty of a location in a photograph?

I have a question for you landscape folks.

When you see a landscape and it completely strikes you with awe, you know that moment when you first step into a historical site or national monument and realize that nothing you have ever heard or seen about that place prepared you for what you see before your eyes, what is the best strategy (after regaining your senses) to capture the spirit that is in front of you?

I have been to a few places in my life that I could describe this way - the first time I saw the Grand Canyon, peered over the edge at Horseshoe Bend, the thundering Niagara Falls...

With special mention to the Grand Canyon, when I first saw it, it took my breath away. I realized for a moment how small I was in comparison to Nature's majesty. Looking down into the canyon, down to the Colorado river below, I could see into forever. If you've never seen the Grand Canyon before, it really does take looking at it the first time to really get the picture.

On that day, I took some photographs of the Grand Canyon. They did not convey the majesty and awe and everything. When I showed them to my friends, they thought it was a "nice shot." I wanted to show them what I saw and feel what I was feeling. I wanted to let them experience the Grand Canyon through my photo, because they could not be there with me at the time.

What is the best way to do this? I've tried using a wide lens as well as stitched panorama, but it just doesn't quite convey they scale. Also tried the foreground element trick, and it still doesn't do it.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow