Ultra-wide zoom, Pany/Oly body lens mix

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TwoMetreBill Senior Member • Posts: 1,714
Ultra-wide zoom, Pany/Oly body lens mix

My wife has decided that we are going to visit some slot canyons again, hence I'd like something wider than my Oly 12-100. But, I'm not sure whether I'll be shooting with the EM1 MK2 or G9 by then.

Historically there have been flare problems with the Panasonic 7-14 on Olympus bodies though I've always been suspicious of the examples because they were never shot side by side on Oly and Pany bodies. Flare can be a problem with any body/lens combo from any brand for extremely wide lenses.

My first choice is 7-something as that is 14% wider than 8mm which can be significant in tight spots like slot canyons. I have gotten nice shots with longer lenses but would like to have the maximum width. So I'm considering:

• 7-14 f/2.8 Olympus
  • 7-14 f/4 Panasonic
  • 8-18 f/2.8-4 Panasonic

The f/stop doesn't matter as I'll be shooting mostly at f/5.6 with focus bracketing.

Are there any issues (ignore price and physical size) with any of those lenses on a EM1 (probably MK2 though I currently use the MK1) or on a G9?

• IBIS
  • focus bracketing
  • AF (other than the general issue of ultra wide lenses with DFD)

Aside: I would consider the original F43 Olympus 7-14 F/4 but I'm concerned that the AF mechanism isn't fast enough for handheld focus bracketing.

-- hide signature --

Bill

TwoMetreBill's gear list:TwoMetreBill's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow