"Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Buggy Wuggy Forum Member • Posts: 83
Re: "Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

Michael Fryd wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

rapick wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

I'm sure availability of part varies by jurisdiction.

[...]

I really wouldn't expect much past 4 or 5 years.

You may be right. However I remember times ago all Japanese camera manufacturers had to adopt commercial / quality /customer care policies in compliance with the stringent requirements of their National Industry association (this was to defend the 'Made in Japan' reputation. But this was at the times of the film cameras...

Those film cameras would be current for many years as well.

Like Minolta Cameras, the SRT series was in production for 10 years. The XD for 7 years. Any digital camera from 7-10 years ago is called obsolete these days.

Sometimes a camera becomes obsolete simply because the market is so small that it is no longer economical to make the necessary consumables.

I have a nice APS film camera. I can no longer find in-date film, nor anyone to process it. There just isn't enough demand for a viable APS film market.

That raises an interesting point. Market size can hold the individual user hostage. One day, there might not be any CF cards made either.

Fortunately, 3D printers that are getting better and better.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow