Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Belgarchi Senior Member • Posts: 2,014
Re: Dark corners

ProfHankD wrote:

Belgarchi wrote:

Tomasg71 wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

Belgarchi wrote:

Which are your favorite cameras, from a usability view point, to use adapted manual focus lenses?

The Sony A7RII is really the sweet spot as I see it. ...

I absolutely agree, to use vintage lenses for what they where designed to cover.I have the A7II.

But do you get good results in the corners? The angle between the raypaths and the sensor do probably adds vignetting and reduces resolution and contrast. I wonder if APS-C sensors don’t make more sense to minimize that problem?

This problem is bad with some (mostly wide-angle rangefinder) lenses, but we're talking about just a few on the A7RII's BSI sensor. The issue is worse on the A7II. Overall, you should look at the article I wrote back in 2013: Old SLR lenses: full-frame, focal reducer, or APS-C? The primary issue with FF lenses on FF is vignetting, and fully correcting it (which is usually not necessary) can cost much of the extra dynamic range the larger pixels bring you.

APS-C sensors with a good focal reducer are fairly competitive with FF, and the 1.1X crop remaining is just enough to get rid of most dark extreme corner issues, but the cost is actually lower for the FF bodies with the key features once you add in the focal reducer cost. There's also the issue that focal reducers don't work with rangefinder lenses.

Fundamentally, you will get more even IQ across the frame when you crop more, but you're also losing view angle and resolution. Very few lenses can really out-resolve a 24MP APS-C sensor, especially wide open, and it's even harder to find one challenging 16MP MFT. Sampling at higher than the Nyquist frequency doesn't add resolution, but it does reduce artifacting such as moire patterns.

How do you apply the Nyquist theory to photography?

I know that to re-construct a wave (sound for example) you need a digital sampling of at least twice that wave frequency to avoid artefacts (due to the fact that, at less than twice the frequency, more than one analog wave solution is possible), but I don't understand how it applies to imaging. Thanks.

Belgarchi's gear list:Belgarchi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Leica D-Lux 7 Olympus PEN-F Pentax KP Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +82 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow