Fuji 35mm F2 Lens... serious focus/background hunting

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cliff_notes New Member • Posts: 2
Fuji 35mm F2 Lens... serious focus/background hunting

I purchased the X-T30 with the 15-45mm lens (the 18-55mm was out of stock). I did quite a bit of photo and video with the kit lens and the results were very favorable. AF was locked in and never an issue in a variety of different video scenarios, so much so that I didn't even really adjust the settings.

I figured it was time to grab my first Fuji prime lens and after wrestling between the 23 f2 and the 35 f2 I went with the 35 (I also ordered the 18-55mm).

I got the lens a couple days ago and it has done nothing but frustrate in regards to AF. Whether in AF-C or AF-S it hunts like crazy. Shooting a sit down interview type video, if the subject leans forward even a few inches the background jumps. I understand the bokeh will be affected by the subject's distance from the background, but this isn't just bokeh shift, its objects moving or jumping back and forth as the subjects position shifts even slightly.

I know a wider angle 23mm would have been better for this type of shoot. Am I expecting too much out of this lens? Is it defective? The 15-45mm performed flawlessly in the same conditions/scenario, I thought the 35 would have given much better results than that kit lens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow