"Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,419
Re: "Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

rapick wrote:

Many times in threads about the pros and cons of buying/using old camera models, the 'end of customer assistance'/'end of spare parts availability' argument is raised.

In my understanding, manufacturer shall (or should?) provide servicing of the camera (lens, etc.) and availability of spare parts for repairs for 10 years.

i searched the topic on a few local (Italian) photography forums: found a poster lamenting that Canon terminate servicing after 7 years the model is out of production (whereas Nikon is allegedly 'more honest'). Another poster telling that 'termination' by Canon is just after 5 years, and so on...

So it looks like my 10 years guess was too optimistic...

But the really disappointing aspect is that apparently you can get aware that your beloved (and expensive) DSLR is no longer serviceable/repairable is when you send it to a service centre (or ask for spare parts) and get the reply "Sorry, outdated camera!". Nowhere in the web I was able to find a notice by a manufacturer saying: "Technical assistance for our model XXXX will be terminated on date ZZ-ZZ-ZZZZ"

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow