IBIS vs OIS on longer lenses

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dan1456 New Member • Posts: 3
IBIS vs OIS on longer lenses

Hi all,

I've just registered to dpreview, but I've been following the site and the forum for quite some time now.

I've got a question about stabilization especially for longer lenses: I understand that the In-body Image Stabilization (IBIS) is more effective on "shorter" lenses (up to?) whereas when we enter the range of long lenses (at which mm?) the IBIS is less effective and the Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) in the lens does a better job (and I can imagine why).

My question is, therefore, what about the dual-is or sync-is or, in general, both IBIS and OIS working together with longer lenses: does it really make a difference? For instance if I'd use a Panasonic 100-400 lens at 400 on an Olympus EM1.2 or on an G9 will it be really better on the G9 because of the dual-is feature ? I'm supposing the two cameras have comparable IBIS performance here... if that is not the case then I think there's little we can test beside the two systems as a whole.

Anyway, has anybody tried a long lens (not just the 100-400, the olympus 300 as well is a nice candidate) on two bodies of the two brands and somewhat measured the performance of the Stabilization systems?

This question comes from me as I'm considering buying the Panasonic 100-400, but I don't like the size&weight of the G9 so I can see an EM1.2 in my future (I've got a gx80 now) and I'm wondering if that would be a sensible choice or not.

Thank in advance!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SGA
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow