Marketing strategy -- Canon T6 / 2-lens kit -

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nct1596 New Member • Posts: 10
Marketing strategy -- Canon T6 / 2-lens kit -

During the holiday season, I received multiple ads related to a Canon T6 with 2-lens package (plus a bag and perhaps a memory card) for something like $350.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but after having looked up the retail prices of each of the 2 lenses, combined they were worth more than the original $350 package price. I recognize there are discounts on lens prices when purchased as part of a kit, but combining all the components of the package (including the camera), it seems like Canon would be losing money on this?

I recognize none of this is top-of-the-line equipment and that the tech in the camera is probably several generations old - but should still be able to take some decent shots and would do well for beginners or those who don't need anything too fancy. I used a T3i for many years and it was a good starter camera.

Is Canon's strategy with this just to get Canon products in as many hands as possible with the hopes that brand loyalty would persist should the customer wish to upgrade down the line? And, I imagine that other manufacturers (i.e. Nikon, Sony) offer similar type packages?

I would never begrudge anyone for purchasing a package such as this but am just curious about the marketing strategy behind it.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow