Using Fuji lenses for astrophotography

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
01Ryan10
01Ryan10 Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Using Fuji lenses for astrophotography

TOMMMMMM wrote:

01Ryan10 wrote:

So...I wouldn't say I'm an expert on this matter in terms of technical reasons. In a previous post "Tommmmm" answered the light gathering question really well concerning different focal lengths.

What I will say is this....If all you're going to do is display astro landscapes or DSOs on Facebook or Instagram, then you have many options. Viewers don't really care about winged coma in the stars on the corner of images. We, the photographers, care the most about corners and aberrations.

With that said, I care to a level that gets kind of silly. I really should be shooting an A73 or GFX for the astro landscapes I want to create, but I am stubborn and don't want to switch to a different system. I seek the utmost perfection of stars to the extreme corners of my images, because...I PRINT LARGE, (up to 36" on the long end), and that's where "ugly" stars on the corners start to rear their ugly heads.

I push my X-T2 to the extreme with my astroscapes by using a tracking mount and stacking exposures as well. All of the images below are examples of different lenses with tracked and stacked skies. The noise is nearly non existent, and the corners of the images have nearly zero aberrations.

X-T2 and 16mm F/1.4 @ F2.8

X-T2 and Rokinon 12mm F/2 @ F/2.8

X-T2 and Rokinon 21mm F/1.4 @ F/2

I am currently in the market of trying to buy a 2nd hand Fuji 8-16mm. I read nothing but great things of this lens, even at F/2.8.

Beautiful shots, thanks for sharing! Mind if I ask how long you tracked, type of tracker, and how many exposures you stacked? Also, how do you get the starburst on jupiter at such a wide aperture? Do you take one long exposure at a narrow aperture?

I typically track from 2-4 minutes per exposure depending on the lens. The 21mm, which I no longer have, I would track for 2 minutes at F/2 and ISO 1600. My Fuji 16mm F/1.4 I will track for 3 minutes at F/2.8 and ISO 1600.

I used to track and stack 8 exposures, but honestly, I didn't find that much difference between 8 track and stacked exposures compared to what I track and stack now, 3 exposures. The reason I track and stack 3 exposures is to mitigate any airplane and satellite trails. The 3 stacked exposures provides some reduced "noise" as well.

In regards to Jupiter and its starburst...that's just the way it renders when the lens is stopped down two stops and there is very little moisture or humidity in the sky. If you have wispy clouds or high humidity, the stars will take on a more bloated look, even stopping the lens down.

I use the cheapest iOptron SkyTracker Pro, ($299 on Amazon when I bought it 3 years ago).

01Ryan10's gear list:01Ryan10's gear list
Fujifilm XF 8-16mm F2.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow