Switching from M43 to Sony FF, are primes still needed?

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
redli0nswift Forum Member • Posts: 75
Switching from M43 to Sony FF, are primes still needed?

My current setup is a Panasonic G85 with the kit lens of 12-60 F3.5-F5.6, and a few primes (15mm F1.7, 25mm F1.4). 
For M43 I needed the primes for low light.  The minute the sun disappears below the horizon or you are indoors, its Prime time.   My favorite focal length is that 15mm (30mm FF equiv.) because for m43 it is considered to be very sharp.  I could go narrower to 17mm (35mm FF equiv.)
Second reason is the 25mm F1.4 is just beautiful.  When the stars align and I take a good photo with that lens... Wow. 
I'm wanting to move to FF Sony for the autofocus, the low light capabilities, and dynamic range.   I've been taking photos as a hobby for 6 years now and I'm ready for that next step. 
I'm looking at picking up the A7 III and the 24-105 F4.   The camera alone is so much better at low light that I won't have that reason to go prime.  
Why do you stick with primes?

redli0nswift's gear list:redli0nswift's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic 35-100mm F2.8 II
ANSWER:
Panasonic G85 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow