M43 cameras and blotchy red skin tones

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 6,068
Re: M43 cameras and blotchy red skin tones

Dexter75 wrote:

Ruairi wrote:

Ah, something isn't right about this...

Golden hour does not occur during sunset - there is a significant difference: 'In photography, the golden hour is the period of daytime shortly after sunrise or before sunset, during which daylight is redder and softer than when the Sun is higher in the sky.'.

Those skin tones I showed at sunset, and the examples you gave, were definitely orange/red - not 'pink/red'. What monitor model are you using? Mine is a calibrated Dell 2516D, a well regarded unit.

Many photographers prefer Canon colours over anything else, so you wouldn't be alone to go with Canon. I note a more green tint to Canon skintones, also commonly recognised.

One final try...

Example in controlled studio lighting, 5600k

I like this example here, very nice. Yea, I know golden hour isnt technically sunset but Ive always known it to be the last hour the sun is up. Yes, orange/red is probably more accurate. Im on a 27 inch iMac, non 5k. Photos look the same on my iPad Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max too, so not my monitor. We all have different preferences when it comes to skin tones and you are right, many do prefer Canon skin tones, which is why so many portrait shooters use Canon. There is no right or wrong really, just personal preferences. Like I said, Im tempted to grab an Olympus and shoot it side by side with my Canon now. Id really like to use a few of those fantastic Olympus portrait lenses again,

Speaking as a former wedding shooter overcast days are far far better for generating flattering portraits. Blazing sun is a nightmare , fortunately living and working in Scotland the former is rather more common On the overcast days the sky in effect becomes a massive softbox giving a lovely soft gentle light

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow