Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Ruairi
Ruairi Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: M43 cameras and blotchy red skin tones

Dexter75 wrote:

Ruairi wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

Ruairi wrote:

I think your camera has just captured exactly what is in front of it. Namely, people with blotchy, sun-kissed skin, or in the case of the first image, someone under a magenta light/massive colour tint error - you may notice that when bright light shines through our skin, the shadow is distinctly blood coloured. If you shoot raw, all of the red mid-shadows can be cooled off easily in post.

Using the same gear as you. This is pretty much exactly what was in front of the camera - my freckly wife.

Those aren’t my shots. No offense but that red is showing in your photo too. Her forehead, cheeks and neck all look sunburned and several shades different then under her eyes and her arms. This has to be a M43 Olympus/Panasonic thing, I’ve not seen this on any other cameras. I might just pick up that EM 10 III and shoot it back to back with my Canon and see how they handle the same skin tones.

'red is showing in your photo too'

That's exactly my point, there are sunset reds and oranges, and freckles in the shot, because they were in the scene - not a m43 thing, but a result of shooting a sun-kissed subject, during sunset. I don't see a problem with a camera and lens showing an accurate account of what was in front of it. On a side-note, sun burnt skin would be less orange, and more crimson, and peeling - she isn't sunburnt.

Those photos weren't yours? Can you share some of your Canon shots you are aspiring to reproduce.

On a much cooler, overcast winter day - far cooler shadows on the skin (ignore vignetting and high ISO, was experimenting with Sony TC)

That looks good, but most every portrait photographer shoots on sunny days, especially around sunset (golden hour). I’ve made a career shooting sun-kissed models during sunset and never had red skin tone issues with Canon, Sony or Fuji. Not many of us are going out and shooting portraits in overcast weather much ha. So if I can’t use a camera in sunlight because it’s going to produce those pink/red skin tones, won’t do me much good. As I said, it does this really bad in studio with strobe lights too. Was hoping it was just Panasonic cameras but sadly, it appears to be Olympus cameras as well. I need to reach out to that Joel guy who shoots Olympus in studio and ask him how he gets normal skin tones.

Ah, something isn't right about this...

Golden hour does not occur during sunset - there is a significant difference: 'In photography, the golden hour is the period of daytime shortly after sunrise or before sunset, during which daylight is redder and softer than when the Sun is higher in the sky.'.

Those skin tones I showed at sunset, and the examples you gave, were definitely orange/red - not 'pink/red'. What monitor model are you using? Mine is a calibrated Dell 2516D, a well regarded unit.

Many photographers prefer Canon colours over anything else, so you wouldn't be alone to go with Canon. I note a more green tint to Canon skintones, also commonly recognised.

One final try...

Example in controlled studio lighting, 5600k

Ruairi's gear list:Ruairi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF8 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow