"Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
Unus New Member • Posts: 24
Re: "Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

Barry Twycross wrote:

Unus wrote:

WillF wrote:

I only know that with Canon it was about seven years after end of manufacture when they told me "we don't service that model (S100) anymore"

-Will

How do they expect to stay in business with an attitude like that?

Just imagine if I took my 2013 Toyota in for service and they were like "sorry, we don't service that anymore." They would be sued out of existence.

Servicing cars is a regular thing, a major profit centre, and generator of traffic to the dealer. Totally different thing.

They want you to bring your 2013 in so they can try to sell you a 2020 instead. They can always rip you off with the service price if you don't buy the 2020. Either way, they win big.

I don't know which brand you own, but I've never been ripped off by my service center. They've even recommended 3rd party mechanics I can use for a better deal.

These camera makers are taking planned obsolescence to new levels. Who in their right mind is going to spend $10K on a lens that will only be supported for 7 years?

Fewer and fewer people, that's who.

-- hide signature --

I took...his stones.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow