"Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,967
Re: "Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

rapick wrote:

photonut2008 wrote:

rapick wrote:

Is it a good move by the owner of an old (but still perfectly working) camera to buy a same one (used) as a safe (and relatively cheap!) source of spare parts?

Not really. Labor costs will almost certainly make it uneconomical to fix an old camera even if you have the parts, compared to just buying a generation or two newer model. OTOH, a camera like your D700 is cheap enough these days that you could just throw the broken one in the trash and keep shooting with its very cheap replacement which is what I do with my Samsung S7 phones now and I would do the same with my D800 (though I just spent $460 having my D800 disassembled, cleaned, and generally restored, which is still half of what replacing it would cost me).

My D700 has now only 925 shutter actuations (yes: nine hundred twenty-five!), so it would be disappointing if I had to replace it!

Sure, and I can appreciate that, but to put it in perspective you can buy an "EX" condition D700 today at KEH for $468.36, which is 36 cents and the sales tax more than what I just paid to have my D800 reconditioned.

-- hide signature --

Internet Interlocuter

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow