Fast and smallish normal prime

Started Jan 8, 2020 | Questions thread
RaymondR
RaymondR Senior Member • Posts: 2,489
Re: Fast and smallish normal prime

the Samyang 45 1.8 is a keeper for me.  I tested it this past weekend under the sort of conditions I would typically intend to use it (inside dimly lit historic churches and museums) by taking it to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and The Cleveland Museum of Natural History.  The center sharpness is strong and the edges were actually better than I expected based on the reviews.  The color rendition on my Sony a7ii is nice and the lens produces bokeh that I like a lot.  I mostly shot at between f/2 to f/3.5 and ISO 800 since my main lens is the 24-105 f4 and getting the Samyang allowed me to sell off my Fuji x100T, which is what I primarily relied on for church and museum shooting.  I may have to boost my ISO ceiling to 1600 to get the shutter speed I need for crisp images.  the Sony IBIS is good but once I got down below 1/13 avoiding shake was tough for me and at f/20 ISO 800 was slowing me down to 1/6 or even longer.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Sony a7 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow