Bald Eagle, A7R4, 400 f/2.8, 2x converter and some cropping

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NicoT Regular Member • Posts: 334
Bald Eagle, A7R4, 400 f/2.8, 2x converter and some cropping

I was driving through Monte Vista, Colorado and I saw this bald eagle sitting in a tree near the highway. I'm not good at identifying birds but this one was easy It was huge and I think it was a female.

I'm impressed with the 2x converter on the 400. I'm not a bird photographer - I love to look at birds but I don't photograph them. This one looked so iconic that I couldn't resist.

I cranked the ISO up to 800, despite it being broad daylight, because I wanted to shoot at 1/4000th of a sec in case I managed to get a flying shot of it. And also because I was hand holding an 800mm lens. I couldn't get any closer without climbing a fence and entering private property. In retrospect I could have shot it at ISO 400 and had slightly less noise in the sky. But it doesn't bother me and I could probably remove it in post. A 600mm with a 2x would have been perfect. Santa?

The ground under the eagle was completely covered with snow and I think that's what makes this image - there was a giant reflector filling in the shadows from below. It almost looks like a studio shot.

If you're curious how much I cropped, I'm attaching a low res screenshot showing the full frame.

-- hide signature --

Sony A9, A7R IV, RX-100 M4, iPhone 11 Pro
http://instagram.com/toutenhoofd

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow