"Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
rapick
OP rapick Veteran Member • Posts: 5,419
Re: "Obsolete" cameras: is it a serious concern?

photonut2008 wrote:

rapick wrote:

Is it a good move by the owner of an old (but still perfectly working) camera to buy a same one (used) as a safe (and relatively cheap!) source of spare parts?

Not really. Labor costs will almost certainly make it uneconomical to fix an old camera even if you have the parts, compared to just buying a generation or two newer model. OTOH, a camera like your D700 is cheap enough these days that you could just throw the broken one in the trash and keep shooting with its very cheap replacement which is what I do with my Samsung S7 phones now and I would do the same with my D800 (though I just spent $460 having my D800 disassembled, cleaned, and generally restored, which is still half of what replacing it would cost me).

My D700 has now only 925 shutter actuations (yes: nine hundred twenty-five!), so it would be disappointing if I had to replace it!

-- hide signature --

Rapick
Visit my galleries at: http://rapick.jalbum.net/

rapick's gear list:rapick's gear list
Samsung NX3000 Nikon Coolpix 995 Sony RX100 III Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow