Thinking about selling my entire CS kit for FF

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ShutterATPCT New Member • Posts: 21
Thinking about selling my entire CS kit for FF

I'm thinking about selling my entire CS kit for a used A7iii (like new) and Tamron 28-70 f2.8.

The reason I'm thinking about this is that I'm gearing up to hike the Continental Divide Trail in April. On the Appalachian Trail I took a NEX-3 (18-55 kit) as my first camera. On the Pacific Crest Trail I took the NEX-6 (19mm prime, 35mm prime). Since I have upgraded to the A6300. Now I'm thinking about ditching all my CS primes to go FF for the final hike of the triple crown. I've done weight calculations, I'll be carrying 13oz more gear this way than with CS. I'm fine with this.

Now that I know a great deal more about photography than in my NEX-3 and NEX-6 days, I feel I can push the hardware further using more advanced techniques for astro and landscape photography.

Current Kit: (I'd only take the 18-105g hiking, maybe the 12mm)

• A6300
  • SEL35f18
  • SEL18105g
  • Rokinon 12mm f2
  • Sigma 19mm f2.8
  • About 7 batteries

Based on used prices I could probably get $1500-$1800 for the lot.

Priority of shooting:

• People and Landscapes would top priority
  • Video (4k30) (Both trail, around town with people, and vlogging style)
  • Timelapses (created in premiere from individual images)
  • Astro
  • Maybe astro timelapse

My question really is, who else has made the jump by selling off their entire CS kit for a limited FF kit?

Will the 28-75 f2.8 work well for landscape and the occasional astro?

I do realize it's not an astro lens. I'm hiking 3,000 miles, taking a second lens for only astro wouldn't be weight economical.

And the real question, the quality difference in photo and video. Is it worth it?

I've never used a A7iii aside from handling it at bestbuy, which doesn't really count.

Sorry for the wall of text guys/gals, thanks for reading if you got this far!

Sony a6300 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow