Poor little guys

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 2,641
Poor little guys

And I feel soooo guilty!

Last night the temperature dropped down to -6°C and we had some snow. And I totally forgot to bring in our Hummingbird feeder. So obviously, this morning it was frozen solid. Right at the time that the poor little Hummers needed the energy the most! When I went outside to look at it, they were so desperate one of them hovered by the feeder like a foot away from my face.

All I could do in the short term was to bring the feeder in and thaw some of the nectar using a hair dryer. When I took it out again it was a bit of a feeding frenzy. Hummers are aggressive little things at the best of times. Under these circumstances there were three flitting around that were VERY protective of the feeder! Once all of them had a good drink things calmed down again.

I have just now made some fresh nectar to refill the feeder. As soon as it cools down enough I will replace the semi-frozen nectar with the still slightly warm nectar to try and make it up to them a bit...

The setting, showing the partly frozen nectar after I warmed it with the hair dryer:

And then the feeding frenzy. I normally avoid showing the feeder like the plague but in this case it is actually part of the story.

And then... contentment! I believe he was saying "Thanks guvnor!" in his best Cockney accent. This little one found a new favourite perch in a small bush in our neighbour's garden about 3m away from the feeder.

And then it was time for a nap!

I crept around the house to get a different angle that shows the snow in the background. Turns out the contrast was just too much so I could not get the "picture" I was thinking of.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow