Olympus 300 mm options Photo comparision - Cheating Cheetah

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP OZ Steve Regular Member • Posts: 102
Re: Not useful

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

You took that graciously, Stephen – making me look more than a little rude by comparison. Fair.

I wondered if the hash pattern on the cup was an aliasing artefact. Most digital cameras no longer have anti-aliasing filters (optical low-pass filters), so repeating patterns of dots or lines at the right pitch often excite aliasing. The sharper the lens, the greater the aliasing. Perhaps the prime in particular is picking up the halftone printing dots in the pink background, generating the aliasing artefact.

Hi Samuel,

I am not big on conflict.

Not not being a skilled technical photographer helps on accepting feedback.     I still have a lot to learn and am looking forward to the journey, some posts on this forum help me with that.

I believe you are correct with regards to the harsh pattern. It is more noticeable on the 300 Pro picture, presumably some form of an aliasing artefact related to the conversion by the camera into jpg format.  I may have a look at the RAW file and see what it looks like.

Regards

Stephen

OZ Steve's gear list:OZ Steve's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow