Why ML craze?

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 2,025
Why ML craze?

I'm reading all these threads, some praising ML, some bashing, and I think the question that hasn't been adequately illuminated is why do we have this ML craze to begin with, and I think this is the real elephant in the room.

What is it really that ML lets you do that you can't do with a DSLR?

I understand that IBIS could be useful, but, interestingly, the way I see, it it is most useful to those who have a collection of old non-VR glass, so not the folks aspiring to stay at the bleeding edge. Besides, it looks like IBIS is making its way into DSLRs too.

I see the advantages of live histogram, and wider AF point spread, but this has to be balanced against EVF, which can never be as good as OVF practically by definition, and against a much poorer battery life.

I see that ML could be smaller than a DSLR, but taken as a package with large fast lenses, the size and weight advantage tends to disappear, especially for those who care about having the "best" lenses, as opposed to the most convenient ones.

I see that ML cameras are not ergonomically superior to DSLRs, and, on the contrary, are more likely to be unbalanced with those large lenses.

I see that ML is not any simpler to operate than a DSLR for a novice or experienced shooter alike, they are essentially the same in operation as DSLRs, and certainly cannot compete in simplicity and convenience with smartphones.

I don't see any real advantage in the cost of acquisition of either ML cameras or lenses, they are priced in the same ballpark as DSLR bodies and lenses and, without going into details, some might be even more expensive in terms of bang for the buck.

So, it feels almost like there is no there there. Why the craze?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow