Cheers for the humble A7rII - still very functional

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,544
Cheers for the humble A7rII - still very functional

We occasionally get these comments from new readers asking about the A7rII.

I bought mine in 2015 and recently had the A7rIII in hand to compare the two. Pretty convinced to upgrade.

But two problems cropped up to convince me to keep the A7rII:

A. The gray focus point was a big irritant to me - it seems to fade out in darkish backgrounds - impossible to see without moving the camera around - why Sony?

B. I installed a favorite 750g lens on the III, and it just felt really awkward to hold compared to the II. Didn't expect that. There's something different about the grip for me. My hands are neither large or small - just in-between i'd say.

It took a little while to reassign all the custom functions to where i was used to them, but it wasn't too bad of a chore. Noticeable speedup in the enlargement functions and the EVF seemed much better. Oh, and the IBIS is rated higher and seems to be that way as well.

But for all those now considering the A7rII, there's still a lot of life in that model, IMO. and the price is practically a give away. -now carefully putting on my steel helmet - incoming!

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow