Trying to decide on my 35mm lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chrisinhouston
Chrisinhouston Regular Member • Posts: 418
Trying to decide on my 35mm lens

So I bought the R last month and am using it so far with my EF mount lenses via the adapter mount with ring.

I already own the Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART with the Canon EF mount and have been very happy with the images it produces both on my R and a Canon 5Ds I used to own.  The build is very nice and it has produced clean sharp images. I recently shot some low light images of kids around a bonfire and with the combination of the lens and the R sensor I was really happy with the results.

I am trying to decided if I should sell that lens and just get the Canon RF 35mm f1.8 since I no longer even own a full frame EF mount body.

Seems like on the plus size the Canon RF is smaller in size and lighter and I will not have the additional form factor of the adapter mount.  It is a macro lens as well.

On the negative side I already own the Sigma and I like it and it is a tad faster than the Canon lens.  As is the case with selling used vs buying new there is a loss in value or depreciation

In the neutral area the price for a new Sigma is about $200 more than the Canon so it's possible I could sell mine as used and not be too much out of pocket if I reinvest in the Canon model. I might even break even!  And I think in reality I won't notice the difference between f1.4 and f1.8!

Thoughts?

-- hide signature --

“Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow.” – Imogen Cunningham

Chrisinhouston's gear list:Chrisinhouston's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R GoPro Hero5 Black +29 more
Canon EOS 5DS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow