Deeppara90 "Parabolic reflector" and central focusing pole thoughts and mini review

Started 9 months ago | User reviews thread
OP Scrollop Contributing Member • Posts: 784
Re: Unique qualities of paras

ronscuba wrote:

Scrollop wrote:

ronscuba wrote:

Scrollop wrote:

ronscuba wrote:

Thanks, that was very cool and informative. The para is certainly a versatile modifier. Do you by chance have a grid for your octa ?

Yes, would you like a comparison?

Yes please. The octa with and w/o grid, para focused and unfocused, if it is not too much trouble.

Sure.

Octa normal head position (facing out) or reversed?

The para with diffusers or bulb only? Reversed or facing out?

Would you like the head +/or a different target? Would you like the lights in the same axis as the camera (ie. above the camera) or off axis(as in the last set of photos)?

I'll do this on Wed.

I do not want to create too much work for you.

Basically, my curiosity is, if the para and octa are similar size, using all the different options of diffusion, grids, focusing. What can one do the other cannot ?

Is there is a particular subject and/or light position that really shows this difference ?

I'll see what I can do. It won't be the most accurate comparison as the para us 90cm in diameter and the octa 120cm.

From what I've seen the softbox creates light with the most gradual ("softest") shadow falloff, the beauty dish second, then the parabolic reflectors, with facial contouring increasing in such a fashion also. They all have different light quality, though, which will give different effects onto skin (soft for the softbox, "glowy" for the beauty dish, and more sparkly for the parabolic, I'd say, though I'm not expert).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow