By, by Sony - by, by Canon........

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
emanuelsmedbol
emanuelsmedbol Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Not good....

Clayton1985 wrote:

The mounts won't change but there are a lot of assumptions being made about how much of an advantage it is or that it will be and a lot of assumptions that Nikon will catch up in terms of AF, eye AF, battery life, etc. I don't buy the argument that we know that the larger mount automatically means Nikon will have the best overall selection of lenses in terms of performance, size, price, build quality and even if that is true the question is by how much. Honestly which lens would most people buy between the Sony 24 f1.4 and the Nikon 24 f1.8 or the Sony 35 f1.8 and the Nikon 35 f1.8 or the Sony 85 f1.8 and the Nikon 85 f1.8 or the Sony 12-24 f4 and the Nikon 14-30 f4? In each case there are good reasons someone might choose the Sony lens whether that be price, size, design or performance. It isn't a slam dunk simply because Nikon has a larger mount. What if the Nikon Z lenses on the roadmap like the 70-200 f2.8, 24-105 f4, and 100-400 don't outperform the Sony versions of these lenses? Do we then say that the mount isn't an advantage?

Not all lenses will take advantage of the mount, but that doesn’t mean the advantage won’t be there for the other lenses that do.

The truth is that we just don't know yet how much of an advantage it will actually be and I think we're several years away from knowing. I also think it's flawed to conclude that other factors aren't equally important or even more important and it's flawed to assume that Nikon will catch Sony in these areas whether with firmware updates or new cameras. If the difference in lenses on average is marginal and Sony maintains advantages in battery life, AF, eye AF, etc then I doubt Nikon will rise to the top of the mirrorless world... in fact I think the opposite will happen.

For sure, the word “potential” is doing lot of work here, but Nikon are great lens designers and they chose the mount for a reason. I also think its a pretty safe assumption to say that they will improve AF. Going forward, the differences btwn systems will get increasingly marginal.

I interpreted the video less as the guy issuing authoritative dictats and more as him simply putting a stake in the ground and saying that, despite the online cacophony of AF AF AF, for his work (and maybe others, maybe yours?) the upcoming marginally-better lenses will be more of a benefit than marginally-better AF.

emanuelsmedbol's gear list:emanuelsmedbol's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow