Old question, new year - Cheap A7Rii vs A7iii?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 4,224
Re: Old question, new year - Cheap A7Rii vs A7iii?

sportyaccordy wrote:

SilvanBromide wrote:

Yarnim wrote:

So many responses but my 2cent as well since everyone heres always been so helpful.

Unless you strictly want to stick with landscapes / studio / still life type of shots, A7iii all the way. I rly don't consider the 1st and 2nd gen A7 series truly useful. It is since the mark 3's when Sony seriously picked it up.

I mean, sensor and IQ wise, not a whole lot of difference

Say what?

There is a world of difference between the 42.4MP and 24.2MP sensors in the cameras under discussion. I can't fathom why you would say otherwise.

You have to view photos in a certain way for those differences to be practically meaningful. I'd wager most camera users don't.

It's not as simple as you make it sound.

Cropping ability is far greater, regardless of final viewing resolution.

Ability to PP at high res before downscaling can also be game changing.

And with 8k monitors starting to factor into people's thinking, higher res offers a degree of 'future proofing'.

All that is still relevant, even for people who have no need (and no aspirations) to make large prints.

Plus what use is more resolution if you can't get the shot? The R2's spec/$ is off the charts right now but what its spec say vs what it's actually good at are very different. The M3 does much better on fulfilling the promises its specs make.

In some cases (for some uses) yes, but as a generalization I think you're overstating the case.

It's been quite a while since I moved on from my a7Rii, but while I shot it as my main camera I got reasonable keeper ratios with a wide variety of conditions, situations and subjects (portrait, wildlife, street, landscape & event etc).

The faster AF of the mk3 bodies is certainly a plus (and makes some things a bit easier), but the Rii is a decent workhorse for a range of purposes.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony a7 III +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow