Old question, new year - Cheap A7Rii vs A7iii?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Nirurin Contributing Member • Posts: 930
Re: Old question, new year - Cheap A7Rii vs A7iii?

MVDH wrote:

Interesting discussions - I'm following this with special interest.

I shoot APS-C (A6500) and long time wanting to upgrade to FF but the cost has held me back. I first wanted to upgrade some lenses before getting the camera. But with recent released A7R IV the price of A7RII has come down so much that I'm considering upgrade the camera as well.

Torn between A7 III, A7R II and A7R III, use mainly landscape.

A7R III would be the ideal upgrade. Only reason to choose A7III over A7R II/III would for me be the low light capability (astro/northern light/ long exposures).

The low light capabilities turns out to be a little more complicated. At default resolutions, the A7iii makes a slightly cleaner image, but if you downscale the A7R pictures to 24mp, they end up looking very similar (at least in the examples I've seen, as many others have done these tests already).

However I have now paid for my A7Rii, so I will do a night shot and see how it looks. Gives me a reason to pick up a wide angle astro lens, if such a thing exists for sony FE.

If A7R III price drops below EUR 2000,= (currently 2400,= with cash back) than I might step in. Just have to wait another year or so.

-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/62121798@N08/sets

Nirurin's gear list:Nirurin's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow