Olympus E-M1 Mark II vs Sony a7iii

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doom Scythe Regular Member • Posts: 275
Olympus E-M1 Mark II vs Sony a7iii

Hi guys, am seeking some views on the choice between these 2 systems. I have created a similar thread in Sony section and the general section as well.

My dad is looking for a new camera system to buy into, and was originally set on mFT (Olympus specifically), primarily due to cost and secondly due to portability. However, he suddenly has a bit of spare cash and off-the-cuff, I just suggested that the look into Sony a7ii since it is cheaper than the E-M1 Mark II (street price). And then both of us look at a7iii and decided that it is a much better camera than a7ii.

Subsequently, I told him to look at the lens choices, as a camera is only as good as the lens it uses. He is a 'zoom guy', prefers zoom over a bunch of primes. He did say that he would go for a couple of good zooms and be done with it, limited to whatever budget he has of course.

So the choices now boils down to this:

1. Olympus E-M1 Mark II + Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 (~$1707)

2. Sony a7 III + Sony 24-105mm f4.0 (~$2707)

Of course, this is not an apple-to-apple comparison is the Sony costs a lot more. But my question here is how does the sharpness (especially corners) and AF (S-AF & C-AF) perform in general? Which AF is faster for moving subjects / in dark situations?

From what I see, the a7 III is actually 2 stops better in terms of noise performance (DPReview image comparison), or may be a little more. Very impressive on Sony. Am more interested in user review of sharpness when comparing these 2 systems and lenses.

What about other stuff that I may have missed? I know the Olympus camera features quite well (like ProCapture, Live Composite, etc), so if answers can be made in reference to that and what is missing in Sony or available in Sony but not in Olympus, that would be great.

My dad shoots 80% general subjects like travel and landscape and 20% birding.

Thanks in advance, and please don't turn this into an equivalence discussion.

Disclaimer (given how sometimes things can get misinterpreted, better to disclose): I am mainly a mFT guy, I own E-M5 Mark II with a bunch of primes and I know the (almost) entire list of mFT lenses by heart. But I know squat about Sony ecosystem. For me personally, I prioritize portability over other things as I fly very often and in foreign places, big cameras are often not welcome. But that's me and I'm now asking for my dad.

Doom Scythe's gear list:Doom Scythe's gear list
Olympus E-PL7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
Dan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow