Have I made a mistake?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
eifionglyn Junior Member • Posts: 33
Have I made a mistake?

I recently switched to MFT getting a G9 and have added the Panasonic Leica 100-400mm.

My thinking was getting a lightweight solution for shooting wildlife and aircraft, but so far I have been disappointed with the results compared to what I've got with previous systems and what others seem to be able to get with the same kit.

I submit as an example a wood pigeon, in a tree some 20 meters away from my location. I've exposed for the pigeon, checked focus with manual focus (AF was locking on the tree branches) At 1/800th sec motion blur (in the camera or the subject) shouldn't be an issue, and 1600 ISO while higher than we'd like, should at least be usable?

The result when viewed at 100% is a fuzzy noisy mess.

Yesterday I was out at my gliding club, we had some red kites fly over. Big, slow birds, really close, shooting down-sun, and while better than today's test-pigeon I'm still not getting the detail I'm after - and that others seem to be able to get.

So where am I going wrong?

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow