EOS R has better eye AF than a7 III?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sentenza Forum Member • Posts: 52
EOS R has better eye AF than a7 III?

In this video review, they did an eye AF test where they had a model walk toward the camera, and to my surprise, they found that the EOS R had a better hit rate than the a7 III. And that's with an adapted EF lens on the EOS R vs a native lens on the A7 III:

Starting from 8'20:

I was surprised, because basically all other reviews that I've read/watched state that the a7 III has the better eye AF. What I noticed though, is that most of those reviews seem to base their assertion on the eye AF reactiveness/stickiness in the live view display, but not necessarily on the actual hit rate results. Personally, I could't care less if the eye AF square is laggy in the display as long as the actual shots are in focus. To illustrate, here is just one example of those reviews where they analyze only the live view display, and they don't bother analyzing actual shots:

Starting from 13'35:

So, I would love to hear about actual eye AF real world results, in terms of actual hit rate, from members who have used both an EOS R and an a7x/a9x.

Sentenza's gear list:Sentenza's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow