Old question, new year - Cheap A7Rii vs A7iii?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Nirurin Contributing Member • Posts: 930
Re: Old question, new year - Cheap A7Rii vs A7iii?

Mr_Win wrote:

Nirurin wrote:

KelvinHammond wrote:

I was asking myself the very same question, and finally settled on the A7riii. LOL. Thought about it for weeks. I think it kind of bugged me to be 2 generations back even if the price was right. And I have 5 Sony's, so I really didn't need another 24mp body. I do have the A7rii already, and would have been happy to have a second one at that price, but the urge to upgrade a little proved too strong. <<my confession. That, and I still needed another write-off for 2019.

As someone who has both - how big is the difference (in real life usage) with the AF and the buffering / usage speeds?

The R3 has a big buffer, 80 shots, on par with the 73, but it takes longer to clear.... so technically it has a much bigger buffer since it deals with larger files. The r2 has a tiny 14 shot buffer with slower memory, so as soon as you hit the buffer, it’s game over.

negligible AF differences. If you want real AF difference, A9 is clearly in a different league.

While I really would prefer the A7Riii, I'm not sure I can justify spending twice the money on it. The A7Rii is just such a bargain price at the moment for the sensor it holds. I'm still looking in case I find a great deal on an Riii, but at the moment it's possible to get (for the price of an Riii), an as-new Rii plus two decent primes. Which, as someone who is building a new system from scratch, seems like a nice place to start.

Nirurin's gear list:Nirurin's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow