Old question, new year - Cheap A7Rii vs A7iii?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ChristianHass Veteran Member • Posts: 3,117
Re: Old question, new year - Cheap A7Rii vs A7iii?

jonpais wrote:

Nirurin wrote:

So I'm looking at breaking into the world of full frame, and it's pretty much between these two cameras.

I can get a decent used A7Rii for about £800-£900 (sometimes with a kit lens, which might not be great but it's usable and sellable later), while a new/nearly new A7iii body is more like £1250-1300.

While I know I'd love the faster and better AF of the A7iii, the big ol' 42mp sensor in the A7Rii is a temptation, and the saving in money could get me started on a lens or two.

I've read a lot on this comparison, but mostly the threads are from early 2019 or 2018, and in a lot of them the A7Rii was actually more expensive than the A7iii or similar in price... so things seem to have changed.

Just curious to see what people suggest / any opinions for me

(Use case is fairly general - landscapes, street, portrait, macro. Probably not much action, but would like to be able to lock onto pets and people when needed. Currently using a Fuji XT2, so if AF is equal to or better than that then it'd be fine.)

A high quality lens and good technique with the a7III will outperform a poor lens with mediocre technique with the a7R II any day of the week. Buying a high res sensor body and pairing it with low quality glass is a poor choice.

Since the A7Rii option in OPs scenario is the cheaper one it would more likely be A7iii + "poor lens" or A7Rii + "quality lens".

In any case, when I was trying to decide on whether or not full frame was worth it for me I ended up feeling that 24mp fullframe vs 24mp APS-C just wasn't enough of an upgrade to be worth the cost.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony a7R II Tamron 24mm F2.8 Di III OSD +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow