Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
JohnS59 Regular Member • Posts: 316
Re: Red Badge Fuji 16-80mm F4?

Tom Schum wrote:

JohnS59 wrote:

Tom Schum wrote:

JohnS59 wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

... you can't make a top end 5X zoom for less than 1000 bucks.

I second that. And people complained a lot that Fujifilm lenses are so expensive.

John.

Would a Red Badge 16-80 F4 WR zoom be a good idea at $1099? This would need no-compromise optical performance of course. I'd be very interested to see this, and it might turn out to be exactly the same as existing product physically, except with the red badge and excellent image quality.

The probably must give up IOS anyway. That's always a problem with the highest quality mid range zooms. You don't see them. I must confess I don't know for sure why this is so. Maybe it has something to do with the number of moving groups (at least two and may be even three).

John

Lack of OIS wouldn't bother me. But I like OIS too.

The tradeoff for me (for a red badge version) would throw out OIS in favor of optical excellence, especially since the max focal length is only 80mm.

Oké, a 16-55mm f/2.8 or a 16-80 f/4, both same optical and mechanical quality and price. Maybe the 16-80mm "red badge" will be a little bit bigger/heavier too. And both no OIS? Interesting. I would like to hear response from others on that.

I am not that interested because I will simply crop my 55 mm pictures if necessary. Or take my 50-140mm f/2.8 out of the bag :-).

John

JohnS59's gear list:JohnS59's gear list
Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow