Future of Micro 4/3 - wishes for 2020

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
Tech Head Regular Member • Posts: 133
Dual IS 1 vs Dual IS 2

bobn2 wrote:

JHA2 wrote:

Make dual IS part of M43 system.
Any M43 camera with IBIS brings Dual IS with any M43 lens with OIS.
The power of M43 is compatibility.
Can you call M43 a system when members disclude essential functions from it.

I'm afraid that horse has bolted. I suspect also that it's technically infeasible without Olympus and/or Panasonic giving their trade secrets to each other. It depends what 'dual IS' actually does. Nikon's implementation simply turns of the IBIS for x and y tilt and translation and uses the lens IS alone for that, using the sensor just to do roll, which lens IS can't do. Nikon is straightforward about that. Neither Olympus or Panasonic is open about what their systems actually do, but if it is trying to have both lens and sensor IS for x/y tilt and translation operative at the same time then to make the servo loops work the camera will need very good information on the individual characteristics of the IS in every lens

With Panasonic, dual IS 1 likely takes the two axes from the lens and combines it with 3 axes from the body.

Dual IS 2 likely uses all 5 axes from the body. The two axes that overlap likely work together to provide greater stabilization.

My guess is that Olympus stabilization is similar to Panasonic's dual IS 2, although I don't know for certain. They only came out with stabilized lenses pretty late, and it was probably already technically feasible to do dual IS 2 at the time. Consequently, they have only a few stabilized lenses, but the dual stabilization works very well.

Some older Panasonic stabilized lenses only support dual IS 1. But all the newer stabilized lenses should support dual IS 2. Some lower end bodies only support dual IS 1, but most support dual IS 2.

I don't see any reason why dual IS 1 couldn't be implemented on Olympus bodies with Panasonic lenses without knowing any trade secrets. Same with Panasonic bodies with Olympus stabilized lenses.

., given that the lens does what it does (since there is no way of making it do anything different) and the camera has to try and adapt on top of that, synchronising its own motion sensing with the lens'. What usually happens in these cases is that they build a database of existing lenses into the camera and extend the lens/camera protocol so that new lenses can be made with the required data in their chip and send it to the camera when mounted.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow