How can I achieve razor sharp sports photos with X-T3?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,037
Re: How can I achieve razor sharp sports photos with X-T3?

KneeConWon wrote:

agaoo wrote:

The boy in the lower left corner looks sharper than the surfer. Focus would have had a better chance of hitting where you wanted if you were zoomed in more, which you couldn't do because your lens is too short.

Generally speaking, get closer, get a longer lens, and find the right tool for the job with regard to camera body.

Personally, I bought a used Nikon D7500 and a cheap used Nikkor DX 70-300 AF-P VR lens that I use for shooting sports and it's an awesome combo for that — both indoors and outdoors. There's no "try this, try that" required. I simply set the AF to auto-area and AF-C and it focuses on what I want 9 out of 10 times. I shoot it M mode with the widest aperture and auto-iso and I just have to experiment with what shutter speed works best, given how good or bad the light is where I'm shooting and how fast the players are moving. I get very nice sports photos very easily. I'd be happy to share some here if it's allowed — is it?

I guess I'm missing the point of this.  If you like the output you're getting from your Nikon camera, then by all means, use it.  But it proves nothing, because if you scan this forum over time (as I have for years), you'll see excellent images in virtually all genres, including sports, all taken with Fuji gear.  A lot of it comes down to experience and understanding the nuances of using each camera to photograph action.  Properly set up and used, Fuji gear is more than capable of photographing action and sports, so assessing the "best tool for the job" goes beyond strictly the gear, but also to the knowledge, experience, and preferences of the photographer.  Just look at some of the work on this forum from the more experienced and prolific bird photographers (Morris would be a good place to start) and recognize that BIF can be equally challenging as photographing sports, particularly tracking small, fast moving subjects often with irregular and unpredictable motion.

Btw I have nothing against Fuji cameras — I just purchased my first one! Waiting for it to arrive in the mail and looking forward to using it. I just believe in the best tool for the job. There's no place for emotion when it comes to that.

I would respectfully suggest that suggesting "the best tool for the job" requires sufficient experience and competency with both brands in order to make a fair comparison.  As you know, the systems are very different, each with their own nuances and advantages.  Any fair comparison will require a fair amount of experience with both systems.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow