How can I achieve razor sharp sports photos with X-T3?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
KneeConWon Contributing Member • Posts: 699
Re: How can I achieve razor sharp sports photos with X-T3?

agaoo wrote:

The boy in the lower left corner looks sharper than the surfer. Focus would have had a better chance of hitting where you wanted if you were zoomed in more, which you couldn't do because your lens is too short.

Generally speaking, get closer, get a longer lens, and find the right tool for the job with regard to camera body.

Personally, I bought a used Nikon D7500 and a cheap used Nikkor DX 70-300 AF-P VR lens that I use for shooting sports and it's an awesome combo for that — both indoors and outdoors. There's no "try this, try that" required. I simply set the AF to auto-area and AF-C and it focuses on what I want 9 out of 10 times. I shoot it M mode with the widest aperture and auto-iso and I just have to experiment with what shutter speed works best, given how good or bad the light is where I'm shooting and how fast the players are moving. I get very nice sports photos very easily. I'd be happy to share some here if it's allowed — is it?

Btw I have nothing against Fuji cameras — I just purchased my first one! Waiting for it to arrive in the mail and looking forward to using it. I just believe in the best tool for the job. There's no place for emotion when it comes to that.

KneeConWon's gear list:KneeConWon's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 AW1 Sony a7 II Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow