Deeppara90 "Parabolic reflector" and central focusing pole thoughts and mini review

Started 10 months ago | User reviews thread
Simon Barker Contributing Member • Posts: 835
Re: Deeppara90 "Parabolic reflector" and central focusing pole thoughts and mini review

MayaTlab0 wrote:

Travis Burnside wrote:

For the life of me I can't figure out the point of putting diffusion in front of anything like a para or any other more specular source. The whole point is to have light rays travelling vaguely all in the same direction, and diffusion just undoes all that. You can have pretty "messy" light sources behind diffusion and it all comes out the same.

On the other hand, if you only want to lug one modifier around, I can see turning your specular source into a softbox-like thing for versatility.

That's one of the reasons indeed.

Also, Broncolor sells diffusers with varying strengths. The lighter ones scatter light a little bit but not enough to completely eliminate the modifier's directionality.

The heavier ones, because of their design / construction, make for a very circular and even catchlight, a bit like some softboxes I've seen with a circular black mask on the front diffuser.

Indeed, although like everything that's associated with the Para system they're not cheap.

There's a pretty good deal to be had from Adorama at the moment for a used 88 kit with a full diffuser set, assuming the reflective interior is in good condition it's a nice little $2k saving. If not for shipping and customs fees making it ridiculously expensive I'd have snapped it up already.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow