Will the coming decade be the decade of Canon?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Don Lacy
Don Lacy Senior Member • Posts: 2,118
Re: Will the coming decade be the decade of Canon?

Funny Valentine wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

I don't think so. Canon is willingly crippling it's own prosumers cameras to protect their pro lineup, so those who are serious about photography will eventually move to Fuji (medium format) for better image quality or Olympus (m43) for better portability. Full frame has no reason to exist these days, since it's a an in between format with a lot of compromises. People who want quality will go medium format. People who want portability will go m43. Full frame is bound to disappear.

As much as I love MF (even started a thread asking when the big 3 will put out a MF camera) there is ZERO chance either it or M43 become the standard. Saying that anyone serious about photography will move to Fuji is silly, there are thousand of us portrait photographers who shoot Canon that would never touch a Fuji or an Olympus. Those companies are much more likely to go out of business before masses switch over to them lol.

I'm also a full frame user, but I have to admit, when portability is not an issue, let's say in a studio, there's no reason to choose ff over medium format. For portrait and indoor photography MF is superior to FF in all aspects. When MF prices will drop, most studio photographers will move to MF. And for outdoor photography where portability is important, m43 is superior to FF. In one backpack, for the same weight and volume to my 5DIV and one L lense, I can carry one olympus body with two pro grade lenses covering from 24 to 600 ff equivalent, something that can't be achieved with any ff and lens combo.

The FF hype only exists in the bubble of youtube and forums. FF will disappear as soon as MF prices will drop.

Or 35mm is the sweet spot between quality and portability, just a thought

Don Lacy's gear list:Don Lacy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M100 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow