Will the coming decade be the decade of Canon?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
GrapeJam
GrapeJam Senior Member • Posts: 3,411
Re: Will the coming decade be the decade of Canon?

J A C S wrote:

Let us go back and see what was predicted in 2008; this tells us something about our predictions now:

[Canon 50D review]: It appears that Canon has reached the limit of what is sensible, in terms of megapixels on an APS-C sensor. At a pixel density of 4.5 MP/cm² (40D: 3.1 MP/cm², 1Ds MkIII: 2.4 MP/cm²) the lens becomes the limiting factor. Even the sharpest primes at optimal apertures cannot (at least away from the center of the frame) satisfy the 15.1 megapixel sensors hunger for resolution. Considering the disadvantages that come with higher pixel densities such as diffraction issues, increased sensitivity towards camera shake, reduced dynamic range, reduced high ISO performance and the need to store, move and process larger amounts of data, one could be forgiven for coming to the conclusion that at this point the megapixel race should probably stop. One consequence of this is that the 50% increase in pixel count over the 40D results in only a marginal amount of extra detail.

Do we really need more megapixel in this day and age of social media where the vast majority of photos are consumed on mobile device?

And sure, high megapixel cameras should exist, but they'll be niche products, I'd rather the EOS R mark 2 have the same 30mp pixel count with better DR and high ISO performance.

I was actually surprise that I had to raise the noise reduction sliders to 50, both luminance and especially colors, at ISO 2500-6400, something I never had to do with the A7III, the results still look great and I still prefer it over the A7III but I was surprised how much chroma noise creep in at just moderate high ISO on the R.

GrapeJam's gear list:GrapeJam's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow