Will the coming decade be the decade of Canon?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,960
Re: Will the coming decade be the decade of Canon?

gipper51 wrote:

My prediction is that over the next decade it's going to become a two-horse race between Canon and Sony, with Nikon slipping to a distant third in the FF mirrorless segment. Canon just needs a killer RF body (which we can assume is coming) for the platform to really take off. Many RF lenses are proving to be best-in-class, and with EF glass as a backbone that works brilliantly with adapters, I think they're poised to regain a lot of Sony defectors (many who still shoot Canon lenses). RF + EF glass will be the most complete modern lens catalog (with full functionality) in photography by a country mile.

I think once Canon has a legit body to compete at the A7R4 level, this segment is going to get very interesting. Hopefully the sleeping giant is getting ready to wake up hungry!

Well it will be interesting to see if Canon can pull it off. Had left Canon after 25 years this past July when I sold my 5D Mark IV. This was the one remaining EOS body I had. I had been using Canon and Sony side by side over the last five years. Canon had been my main system with the A7R, A7RII being my high resolution landscape camera instead of buying a 5DSR. Then the a9 and then the A7RIII came along and that changed. The GM 100-400, 200-600, and the Batis primes contributed to that. Then came the other GM lenses.

I'm now giving it a look see with the great price they had during the holidays for the EOS R. Was going to wait until Canon had a mirrorless body that was as capable as the 5D Mark IV but I only payed $1299 for the EOS R so why not give it a try. Now we will see what the next year brings to see if it was worth it to step back in to it.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow