Portrait: Anni

Started 8 months ago | Photos thread
NewEraPhotographer
NewEraPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 559
Re: Portrait: Anni

Krav Maga wrote:

brilly wrote:

shooting an actual movement doesn't make it natural if the movement was scripted to show an unnatural motion

Again, I don't presume to know how the OP directs models. You're assuming a lot.

the hand absolutely does look positioned

Well, to you. But to me, and I imagine many others, it doesn't. I wonder if our differences in viewpoint may come down to differences in how you and I may direct models. Perhaps you're the type that extensively directs; put your hand like this, tilt your head like this, etc. I'm not saying that's a bad way to direct, mind you. But for those who direct like that it could be understandable that it may look to them the way you perceive it; placed. On the other hand, perhaps you don't direct like that.

I encourage models to move and drift while I catch shots. A lot of models tend to throw a pose, click, change a pose, click, etc. I discourage that. When shooting the way I do, it's not uncommon to catch shots like the OP's. Because of that I don't perceive the hand as being "placed." It looks natural.

Like I said, your whole criticism seems a bit odd. It's like people freaking out over "chopped head!" or going on about nipped toes or fingers, etc. But rather than go on about a freaking hand and lose perspective of the photo in its entirety, I'm not going to argue with you.

I'll just let you have the last word.

For what worth...  the first thing i noticed was the hand placement and thought "that looks very unnatural". Whether it was captured during a natural movement or not, to me it seems unnatural. I dont ever see any of my female friends move their hands across their face/neck area like that fir any reason.

I still think it's a very good photo, but I think it would be improved with a different hand placement. With that said, I think it will be pretty close to a 50/50 split on who thinks this looks good and natural versus awkward and unnatural. Difference of opinions that won't be argued to sway opinions. And that's ok.

NewEraPhotographer's gear list:NewEraPhotographer's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow