New Photo Challenge - Still Life (ends Jan. 15)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
klondiker
klondiker Regular Member • Posts: 276
New Photo Challenge - Still Life (ends Jan. 15)

Gloaming, thank you for passing the baton to me. Our new challenge is "Still Life". Here is the definition, as copied from Internet:

A still life (from the Dutch, stilleven) is a photo featuring an arrangement of inanimate, everyday objects, whether natural objects (flowers, food, wine, dead fish, and game, etc.) or manufactured items (books, bottles, crockery, etc.). The Tate Museum Glossary puts it very succinctly, defining the subject of a still life as "anything that does not move or is dead." In French, the still life is called nature morte, (literally "dead nature").

A still life can be realistic or abstract, depending on the particular time and culture in which it was created, and on the particular style of the photographer. The still life is a popular genre because the artist has total control over the photo, the lighting, and the context. The artist can use the still life symbolically or allegorically to express an idea, or formally to study composition and the elements and principles of art.

Any one to three photos per participant in colour or b/w, taken at any time, with short title included will be accepted.

The challenge will close on Jan. 15. I'll need a couple of days to deliberate on first, second, and third places. Those will be posted shortly after. The winner will take over the contest and decide on new challenge and its rules.

Below are a few examples of Still Life from my own collection. Wish you all good luck in participating, and all the best in New Year.

-- hide signature --

gregn

My first ever composition. Illuminated by skylight only.

Rocks collected while hiking Superstition Mountains.

Driftwod.

Seed pods (stacked for increased DOF)

klondiker's gear list:klondiker's gear list
Sony a6300 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow