Acros question

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,874
Re: Acros question

Tom Schum wrote:

It appears he recommends always shooting in Pro Neg Standard, then converting to Acros in post. I wonder why he recommends this method.

My best guess to that question is the desire to see in the EVF what is going on in the shadows, as well as low saturation allowing you to see greater detail (especially in the red channel).

Also, will the camera's version of Acros be the same as the raw developer software output?

This will depend on the raw developer chosen. It is clear that Fuji has worked with Phase One (Capture One) to create not only the designated supported versions, but the film simulations, as well. I see no difference from OOC JPEG to the resulting default raw settings. Presumably, this is true for the Fuji/Silkypix implementation, but I don't know for sure. As for any other attempts to approximate Fuji settings, I'm pretty sure they involve workarounds to get into the ballpark.

A problem for me is when I turn on grain in the camera for my Acros shots and it is not found in the raw, only the JPG. Is there a raw developer out there that will duplicate the grain the camera gives me in its JPG?

I'd think it wouldn't be a problem for the officially supported versions. I don't think there is much to be said for Raw X Studio though, as the camera processing capabilities are necessarily limited compared to a real, discrete computer.

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow