JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,882
Re: Acros question

chaimav wrote:

JNR wrote:

Tom Schum wrote:

chaimav wrote:

Maybe to avoid the acros grain effect?

I don't think Acros has a grain effect. The grain effect is another setting in the shooting menu, and applies grain to the JPGs only. Grain effect goes into all the JPGs, not just Acros.

I would love to be able to get the in-camera grain effect in my raw developer, but it seems that can't be done. Have you been able to get the grain effect in your raw developer? I'm using the free Fuji/Silkypix raw developer.

I can approximate the grain effect in Photoshop but to get the real Fuji grain I have to take the JPGs from the camera. Maybe there is something I don't know about that is getting in my way, here.

Capture One provides six kinds of grain effects, and two associated slider controls for their intensity and granularity. I don't know if the free version offers it...

It is rare that I use it, but sometimes it improves the noise pattern in low light situations. It seems to be a better overall option for standard Bayer pattern sensors.

I have never used C1. Does it have a mode that differes grain in the highlights?

Honestly, I haven't studied it that closely. I don't know if it has that level of sophistication. Some have said it is pretty far ahead of LR grain in terms of simulating film grain, and my small bit of comparison a few years ago tends to confirm that... but I didn't test it in any depth.

Keep in mind, Capture One Fuji film simulations are engineered in cooperation with Fuji - and I have yet to see any difference between the OOC reference JPEG and the film sim in the program at default settings. Not close, but exact. So, presumably the Acros grain effect is also matched exactly.

Per Fuji:

“ACROS” is different.
We developed it from the core of the image file to achieve a very complex and natural like grain expression. Optimal and different grain expressions are added to highlight and low light areas. You would not find unnatural dotted graininess in the highlight areas just like how the monochrome film behaves. In the low light area, you would see the graininess just like how it would appear with the monochrome film. There are undulating grain within the picture. And it adds depth like no other.

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow