Macro setup for film scanning

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tarpininkas
tarpininkas New Member • Posts: 13
Macro setup for film scanning

Hey, guys, looking for some advice in macro lenses. I am scanning 35mm film with my Nikon D750 and the usual DSLR film scanning setup - tripod, LED table, film scanning mask as many Youtube videos on this topic suggest. However, the only F-mount lenses that I own are Nikkor 50mm 1.8G and Tamron 24-70 2.8 G2, obviously, not macro lenses by any standards. So far I've been using extension tubes, but, if I get quite really close with both of the lenses, most of the shots turn out unsatisfactory - chromatic aberrations, loss of sharpness at the edges is quite nasty. If I move further away, the overall look gets a tad better, however, I only get a 5-6 megapixel file instead of 24 that the sensor offers.
Any suggestions on a cheap lens that would get the job done and be sharp? Absolutely requirements besides that - does not have to have autofocus nor large aperture, as I am not planning to use it for any other purposes than scanning film, where manual focus is a must. Furthermore, could be of a different mount connected via an adaptor or use extension tubes, if you suggest that particular setup produces great results. I am returning the extension tubes that I own anyway, as they cost over 60 pounds and I certainly do not need functioning autofocus and will be setting the aperture by the DOF button or manually. All in all, I am looking to spend less than 150 pounds, as it can be a really old lens. Any suggestions or comments will help.
Thank you!

tarpininkas's gear list:tarpininkas's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow