How can I achieve razor sharp sports photos with X-T3?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,030
Re: How can I achieve razor sharp sports photos with X-T3?

Kiwi Shutterbug wrote:

Can you share with us the website that gave the glowing review? This article is from dpreview, not from me.

I'd rather get a system that is designed for sports/action so you can get those razor-sharp fast-action photos now without having to try this, try that, spend a lot of time months or years trying to gain experience or buying new lenses and the limitations are the body.

You may see some nice action shots, but maybe their keeper rate is 4 sharp photos out of 10, you want that to be higher.

Go to a shop and try out one of them, like the Nikon D500 and fast lens, only you can judge yourself and not regret later.

Being a Fuji forum, I expect a lot of unhappy replies to my comments, haha! Good luck!

Oh come on, no one likes being told "their baby is ugly!"

However, the Nikon D5 is designed from top to bottom (including sensor) for sports and action. The D500 is its APSC little brother. The Sony A9 is designed top to bottom to be a sports camera. If I eat or didn't eat based on my sports photography I would not pick Fuji. Even today I'd stick with the D5/D500 sports machine guns. If I wanted or needed mirrorless it would probably be Sony.

Nikon and Sony have superior AF and AF tracking. That is what all the serious reviews conclude - see DPReview. For some sports, like horse sports, my H1 is a good solid performer. However, galloping and jumping horses don't make erratic movements and it is easy to track in AF. But in human sports where sudden erratic movements are common - Fuji is not there yet with AF. That's pretty much what the reviews say. The XT3 is better than the previous series because of a higher read out rate. However, Fuji is still behind Sony and Nikon on their AF tracking. However, in the right experienced hands, e.g., Morris, and the right lens Fuji gear can work just fine for sports.

However, all that not withstanding, that is not the issue with the OP's images. The issue there is the zoom lens is soft and particularly at 135 mm end. The first shot is fine - just suffers from narrower DOF than he desired but the focus point it sharp. The XT3 is a fine general purpose camera with sports being included in general purpose. It is certainly a "good enough" sports camera  to capture the OP's images - especially with a better lens than the 18-135 zoom.

agaoo wrote:

Kiwi Shutterbug wrote:

"I just bought Fujifilm X-T3 with 18-135mm and 50mm f/2 as I am expecting the system would give me razor-sharp sports photos."

1. You're going to be disappointed.

2. For razor-sharp sports AF, did you check out Nikon, Sony or Olympus?

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-for-sports-and-action

Are you serious? I've read many reviews say X-T3 is one of the best cameras for sports photos.

-- hide signature --

"If you learn only methods, you’ll be tied to your methods, but if you learn principles you can devise your own methods." Ralph Waldo Emerson
___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow