Why I have given up buying from Adorama

Started Dec 30, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
indermaurmedia New Member • Posts: 3
Why I have given up buying from Adorama

I am a VIP360 member with Adorama, and I have mostly had a positive experience with purchasing equipment from them. There was one instance I was disappointed, brought it to their attention, and they corrected it. As a professional multimedia producer with over 25 years in the industry, I need to have a reliable equipment vendor. There are many times I know B&H (with an ASMP discount), and Hunt's was cheaper, but I have always trusted Adorama.

Recently I have had an experience, and my three attempts to resolve it convinced me I need to shop elsewhere.

I made a purchase that included two Canon Mark IV bodies. As I was checking out, I noticed I could add a free bundle that included a 64gb Lexar SD card, Canon camera bag, spare battery (non-canon), a cleaning kit, and a software package. I use Sandisk cards and the other items I will never use. I consider it is as all freebee conference swag. Though I added it to my order figuring, I will gift it during my American Society for Media Photographers (ASMP) meetings or at university talks to photography students — free swag from Adorama (promotion for them).

The price of the Canon bodies dropped $500, so I called Adorama to see if they would honor this drop in price. A friend did the same with B&H, and he received $500 back. After looking into it, the customer rep told me since I have the VIP360 membership, I have 60-days to return the items or get a refund on the price difference. I told her I prefer the refund, and she offered a refund or store credit. I was okay with store credit since I have much more equipment I am purchasing in 2020. She said I would receive it in a few days. I got off the call thinking Adorama rocks, and I even shared this experience with others in the industry.

A week passed, and I hadn't heard anything, so I called back. The customer service rep put me on hold to speak with the original representative. She said she would look into it further and get back to me the next business day. Again, she didn't get back to me.

A few more days passed, and I called again. I spoke with another representative, and he put me on hold to check, then told me they would not credit me the $1,000 ($500 for each camera) because I bought it as a kit. He said there is nothing they can do, and I suggested I return the entire purchase, since I was within the 60-day return policy timing, and buy the camera separately. He agreed I could do that, and he told me someone would get back to me in a day or two to coordinate how to return this. I acknowledged that I had all the packaging.

Again, nobody got back to me. Another week has passed, and the 60-days has come and gone.

Adorama had the opportunity to keep me as their client and show that they cared about my business. Initially, they said yes, and didn't follow up; then they said no and didn't follow up. I had to monitor their responses every step of the way; my guess is they hoped it would just go away. They made no effort to find a resolution that will satisfy both of us. I'm very disappointed with how they chose to handle a lifelong customer, so now it's time to find a vendor that can respond with excellent customer service.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow