How can I achieve razor sharp sports photos with X-T3?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,596
Re: How can I achieve razor sharp sports photos with X-T3?

Truman Prevatt wrote:

agaoo wrote:

I just bought Fujifilm X-T3 with 18-135mm and 50mm f/2 as I am expecting the system would give me razor-sharp sports photos.

In the last week, I took some sports photos on the beach and 2 of them are attached here.

RAW File 1

RAW File 2

I think they are not sharp enough to my expectation.
Is there any camera setting mistake?
Do I need better lenses?
How can I achieve razor-sharp sports photos with X-T3?
Your input will be greatly appreciated.

The first one with the 50. It is very sharp on the focal point - the guy hitting the ball. The text on the net at that point is quite sharp as are the strings in the net. The net is transversal (not parallel) to your focal plane and hence the focus will fall as it does by the time you get the the man in the hat. However, the man hitting the ball and the woman are sharp as is the woman on the far right side sitting on the beach.

The second one. Making the assumption that the surfer is your point of focus - this image is soft. In fact I didn't see anything sharp it the second image.

In the first case you might have wanted to use a higher stop to increase the DOF a bit but the focal plane is tack sharp. But the 50 f2 is a sharp lens. In the second case it is a 7.5 X zoom and not one of Fuji's best to boot. The zoom is not going to be as sharp and it isn't.

I was about to make similar comments to what Truman stated.  With the 18-135 you will need to sharpen more.  It is a general purpose walk around lens and good at what it is intended for.  If you are using it for reach you should consider the 85mm f2.8, 90mm f2.0 or the 50-140mm f2.8.  The 200mm f2.0 would be a great choice yet out of many people's budget.  Another great sports lens is the Sigma 100-300 f2.8 Sport.  You would need to get the Fringer adapter Canon EF to Fuji X.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow