How can I achieve razor sharp sports photos with X-T3?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,030
Re: How can I achieve razor sharp sports photos with X-T3?

agaoo wrote:

I just bought Fujifilm X-T3 with 18-135mm and 50mm f/2 as I am expecting the system would give me razor-sharp sports photos.

In the last week, I took some sports photos on the beach and 2 of them are attached here.

RAW File 1

RAW File 2

Fujifilm XF 50mm f/2 R WR Lens

Fujifilm XF 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Lens

I think they are not sharp enough to my expectation.
Is there any camera setting mistake?
Do I need better lenses?
How can I achieve razor-sharp sports photos with X-T3?
Your input will be greatly appreciated.

The first one with the 50.  It is very sharp on the focal point - the guy hitting the ball.  The text on the net at that point is quite sharp as are the strings in the net.  The net is transversal (not parallel) to your focal plane and hence the focus will fall as it does by the time you get the the man in the hat.  However, the man hitting the ball and the woman are sharp as is the woman on the far right side sitting on the beach.

The second one. Making the assumption that the surfer is your point of focus - this image is soft.  In fact I didn't see anything sharp it the second image.

In the first case you might have wanted to use a higher stop to increase the DOF a bit but the focal plane is tack sharp.  But the 50 f2 is a sharp lens.  In the second case it is a 7.5 X zoom and not one of Fuji's best to boot.  The zoom is not going to be as sharp and it isn't.

-- hide signature --

"If you learn only methods, you’ll be tied to your methods, but if you learn principles you can devise your own methods." Ralph Waldo Emerson
___
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +10 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow