Looking for minor upgrade for AF-P 70-300

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,237
Re: Looking for minor upgrade for AF-P 70-300

I Love Furry Animals wrote:

I have the AF-P 70-300 FX lens, been very happy with it. Want a second lens so both me and my wife can shoot wild life together. Looking for one with slightly more reach, better AF and IQ if possible.

I rented the AF-S 200-500 for few days just to get the feel of it, it was a great lens but we think this probably too heavy for us.

What are our options without breaking my shoulder and the bank? Which of these are better overall compared to what I already have?

• AF-S 300 f4 (plus TC 14e)
  • 70-200 f2.8 (with TC 1.7 or 2.0?)
  • 80-400 VR
  • Any better option from Tamron or Sigma?

What I shoot is mostly 300mm so I don't really need the zoom, but appreciate more reach if possible. 500mm PF is just too expensive for us, so please don't suggest anything around or above this price range 🙂

Out of your list the first option is probably the one that meets your requirements best, the 70-300 is already a fast focusing lens with stunning VR that few other of your available choices can better. I sold my 70-200 after buying the 70-300 for it's better range, and lighter weight with little or no loss in image quality.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow